I love burritos, I don't think I've met a single person who doesn't like burritos. So, let's make it halal with our take on a chipotle style burrito!
In the past we've done smothered chicken burritos, 2 different styles of breakfast burritos (one with beef bacon and one with sausage) so, I decided it was time to add a shredded beef burrito to mix it up. In this recipe, I use an instant-pot. This tool is not necessary, although it does half the cooking time. So, if you don't have an instant pot put the roast in a dutch oven for 3 hours at 350° for 3 hours and add water as/if needed. I use tomatillo salsa in this recipe, which I've never tried before now, but it turned out quite well. That said, you could make this with any kind of salsa that you really like. Now let's get to the cookin' notes!
This recipe was extremely easy to make. It took time, yes, but it wasn't such a long an arduous process mostly because of how little there actually is to make. Really, all you need to do season your roast with garlic and onion powders, salt, and pepper. Then toss it in your instant-pot (or dutch oven) and let it slow cook. All that's left after that is to make your rice and fry up some vegetables!
And that's it! If you want to learn how to make this, click here or see the full written recipe below!
Ingredients for the vegetables:
1 yellow onion, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
1 tbsp butter
Ingredients for the Chuck Roast:
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp each salt and pepper, or to taste
1 cup salsa of choice, or tomatillo salsa
1 cup water
Ingredients for the Cilantro Lime Rice:
1 cup rice
juice of 1 lime
1 1/4 cup water
1 - 2 tbsp fresh Cilantro chopped, optional
Ingredients for the Egg Wash Tortillas:
4 (or more) tortillas
1) Season chuck roast with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Press seasonings into meat and completely cover the exterior of the meat with the seasonings. Combine water and salsa in an instant pot and whisk to combine. Place chuck roast in an instant pot and set to pressure cook for 90-120 minutes or until fork tender.
2) In a pan, melt butter for vegetables. Once melted, add all vegetables and cook over medium heat until veggies are tender.
3) In a pot, rinse rice 3 to 5, vigorously rubbing grains of rice together. Once water is mostly clear, drain rice. Place the rice in a rice cooker, add juice of 1 lime and 1 cup water. Cook to completion. Add chopped cilantro once cooked if using.
4) In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, 1 ladle of cooking liquid from instant pot, and whisk to combine. Dip tortillas in egg mixture, covering the entire exterior of the tortilla. Place in a hot pan and cook until golden brown
5) Assemble burrito with rice, peppers and onions, black beans, mexican cheese, and shredded beef on the tortilla. Tightly wrap, quickly fry in a pan (optional) and enjoy!